A true denim-head with a love for raw fabrics and Redwings, Micky is fast rising up the ranks in terms of #Instaoutfitinspiration. His feed relates to denim all over the world and you can tell by the interaction he gets, via his posts, that his style is admired by many…
Thanks for taking the time Micky, you’re a top gun!
Folks, please enjoy as @raw.denim answers the ClobberCalm 10@10
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Micky Scherer aka @raw.denim
LOCATION: Mainz, Germany
OCCUPATION: Business Student *not for long anymore 😉
1. So Why Instagram?
For me Instagram is the only social media channel that really matters because only here people show how they really are. Most of the accounts seem to be run by the actual people, not by managers, sponsors or something that you see (unfortunately) on Facebook or Twitter. At least I like to believe that!
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
I have worked in the fashion industry since being 17 years old and in the past I have gone through a kind of an evolution, I guess. Earlier I was, like many others, always searching for the best look and state-of-the-art brands etc but then I got my hands on my first selvage denim (a Regular Ralf – Dry Selvage by Nudie Jeans). Uff – that feeling of brand new raw denim and then the evolution after a few months. Since then my consciousness about clothes has changed step-by-step. Today, I want to know what I am wearing: from the product’s material to where it’s made and is it made under fair circumstances. I don’t want to be a hypocrite – I don’t follow these rules with every article of clothing I choose but I’m doing my best to change that and be more and more aware. I am still learning – about qualities, production processes etc but I really care about a brands history, what they aim to stand for and how they ultimately act. Of course, finally – I love the style of the brands I wear!
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
Really love that fact. Without the insta-community I would not have known so many great brands, manufacturers and styles. At the very most I could not have experienced so many different other feeds that continue to inspire me. I guess the greatest thing about the “Insta fam of denim & quality“ is the communication between the people behind the feeds. I am relatively new around but I have made so many great contacts already and have gotten so many great tips about a lot of things. When it’s just a simple chat about the important and unimportant things in life – fine with that 🙂 it is definitely really cool!
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
1. Red Wing – Beautiful, durable and personally experienced quality for over, God only knows, how many years with every single pair.
2. Nudie – Every Nudie selvage I have had so far have turned out to be absolute beauties and the fact that they have stood for fair trade since day one and still keep their promises convinces me.
3. Merz b. Schwanen – Handcrafted garments made in Germany by people who care about tradition and classic production processes – if you don’t check them out you’ll def miss something.
5. Where’s your favourite place to shop these brands
1. STUF|F fine goods – a small quality shop in Düsseldorf with an absolute denim-head as an owner.
2. B74 – Selected Goods in Frankfurt, a store where quality comes first and before every trend.
3. And of course a lot of stuff online because you can not get all the great stuff from America and Japan that easy, here in Germany
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your clobber on social media?
About 3 months ago I just thought: Why not? Let’s figure out if other people like the stuff I like. I never ever expected that people could like my pics that much, because I really don’t think I do anything that special. Really, really appreciate every follower, like and comment.
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
Actually I don’t know for sure, maybe it’s the focus on details?! Or it could be the fact that I often work with such a talented photographer, my future sister in law @jannikabgold. I want to focus on simplicity, because thats how I see me and my style. Not too much, but concentrated.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
There are so many great feeds out there and I don’t want to miss anyone out but if you want me to point out some accounts I have to mention Nate and his feed @cuffington. I just love his sharp sense for combinations and style. Then there is the kind mate Victor from @selvedge1, you can see his passion for selvedge and quality in almost every pic he is sharing. Love that. Of course feeds like yours’ or Jared’s from @jjayhawks have inspired me since the first minute I started on Insta 🙂
9. What tips would you give new starter on instagram to help them get there feed off the ground and successful?
I guess you have to find your niche then just share the kind of pics you actually really like yourself and, sometimes, less is more!
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only with you.
What would they be? And Why?
1. My 875 Moc Toe by Red Wing: Because these boots will last forever, I guess.
2. A fresh pair of Selvedge – probably a Nudie because thats how everything started and a sand wash is always nice 😉
3. A medium Duffle Bag by Filson – for all the coconuts I am going to find.
4. And of course my Schott NYC Perfecto – because it is my friend for life.
Woah! Thanks Micky that was great and thanks for the personal shout-out (blushing slightly). I look forward to seeing your feed continue to blossom.
Next week we have a top bloke who, as of last night, I can call a buddy of mine. Mr Oli Congress aka @olicongress (thanks for the drink Oli) took the time to answer the 10@10 for us and share his enthusiasm for denim, vintage, RRL, Ivy League and much more…
He’s a very smart, very cool chap with mountains of knowledge and he also appears to know, well….everybody!
Check back in next week as it’s going to be a great feature as @olicongress answers the ClobberCalm 10@10
Enjoy the weekend folks.