As always thanks for stopping by the @clobbercalm blog, where each week we ask a popular Instagram user ten questions about their feed, in some ways their life and, most important of all, their love for clothing. Real Clothing!
This week I’m extremely humbled to host a feature on Greg aka @greghouser who has been great from the moment I asked him to take part and I’m proud to introduce him into the 10@10 series.
He’s a writer who has earned his stripes reporting and editing for denim giants such as @rawrdenim (Now @heddels_) and the awesome @denimhunters. Now, despite mixing it with the threads of @altonlane, Greg has still found the time to answer our questions and for that I’m truly grateful. Thanks Greg.
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Greg Houser aka @greghouser
LOCATION: Richmond, VA
OCCUPATION: Content Manager at Alton Lane/lazy freelance writer
1. So Why Instagram?
Instagram just made sense to me. I understood the platform, I liked the platform and it seemed like something I could do. It’s also the only social media thing that made me buy something. It allowed me to find cool people doing cool stuff, which was super helpful for freelancing.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
I’ve loved clothing my whole life – was voted Best Dressed in high school, true story. When I found Superfuture and Styleforum about 10 years ago it almost made my head explode. It was like finding a tribe I didn’t know I wanted to belong to. I think that has just naturally expanded into denim, boots, workwear etc for me.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
The community seems great. Everyone is positive. Everyone is nice. It’s nothing but good for the people out there making stuff, who are some of the kindest and most inspiring folks I’ve ever met.
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
Oof, that’s tough. I love Mister Freedom. I have two pieces and they’re both insane. Shockoe Atelier make some of the best fitting denim I’ve ever worn and their apparel is bonkers and Freenote impresses the hell out of me with everything they make – also Fischer Clothing out of Brooklyn, love their stuff. Sorry, that’s four and I barely feel like I’ve scratched the surface.
5. Where’s your favourite place to shop these brands
1. is definitely Old North in Asheville, NC. I owe a LOT of my writing career to stumbling into this store that was selling Mister Freedom stuff in the mountains in North Carolina and Jack and Wren being amazing and kind and agreeing to let me write about them for a denim blog. Everything they do is awesome. Need Supply here in Richmond is probably the best at blending fashion forward and boxy Norse top blocks and a little workwear and they’re such a powerhouse. I’m really excited about a store, Jackson and James, that’s gonna open in Richmond soon, oh and Yesterday’s Heroes Vintage in Richmond.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your clobber on social media?
I guess it was 3-4 years ago now?
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
Oh boy, I don’t think my images are that great. I take anything on the floor. I could really improve in that. I currently run six accounts for work between primary job and freelancing, so by the time I get around to mine I’m a little worn out…I mostly try to think “what am I gonna wear?” and “what’s gonna look kinda cool?”
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
@loyalstricklin they make awesome stuff in Alabama, which I love. @awlsnap makes really cool bags here in Richmond. @circleabrand is great, @whranchdungarees are the only pair of jeans I still drool over on a daily basis and I need to stop putting it off and just buy because they are amazing.
9. What tips would you give new starter on instagram to help them get there feed off the ground and successful?
Hmm, post good photos. If you can’t do that, be funny. Don’t ever buy followers, it’s real easy to spot. If you’re a guy, start with a pair of Red Wings and Railcar and you’ll pick up like 2k easy 😀
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only with you.
What would they be? And Why?
This is just painful:
1. Shoes – the beautifully beat up pair of Allen Edmonds Byrons my dog ate 3 years ago – RIP – I’m assuming I can raise shoes from the dead in this scenario? I’d take them because they were the best pair of shoes I’ve ever owned.
2. The Studio d’Artisan jeans I just got b/c I’ve been lusting after them for 10 years
3. My blue Our Legacy 1950’s shirt. This shirt is perfect. The pocket is perfect, the length is perfect, everything about it is perfect.
4. My Vietnam-era pea coat. I found it for $80 online. The fit is spot on, the pockets have corduroy bags, the collar is stiff and high – though I guess I wouldn’t need that on a desert island, so maybe the vintage French work jacket I just bought?
Greg that’s awesome buddy!
Next week we have Allen aka @awalker4715. Yet again another obvious perfectionist with a faultless feed, focusing on all things “man”, he fits perfectly into the 10@10 model.
Allen’s answers will go live next Thursday at 10pm (as per usual) so be sure to check him out in the meantime via the countless links scattered through this post! 😉
Enjoy your Friday guys and have a top weekend!
See you all soon!