I hope your all doing great and welcome to this weeks @clobbercalm 10@10.
Tonight we focus on the feed of Allen aka @awalker4715 and the spotless aesthetic it carries. Whilst keeping it clean Allen still manages to touch on the brands we love on here and his grids get an incredible amount of engagement so it’s great to have the opportunity to find out a little more.
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Allen Walker aka @awalker4715
LOCATION: Huntsville, Alabama
OCCUPATION: Mechanical Engineer
1. So Why Instagram?
I have always had many hobbies and have enjoyed learning and researching more about them on various forums. Whether it was sneakers, watches, denim, firearms, or cars, I would find a community of enthusiasts on a forum. I started to enjoy Instagram, because it brings all of these communities together in one place.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
I am interested in several types of design ranging from the American and Japanese takes on workwear to the clean, modern Scandinavian style that has become so popular. Workwear got my attention initially because of the authenticity I saw in brands like Red Wing and Pointer Brand. That’s where my interest in that style started, and I think many people look for brands they feel have strong histories and good products.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
The positivity in the Instagram gear/menswear community stands out the most to me. It’s actually surprising to me since most people that have been members of other enthusiast communities, such as online forums, know how negative some people can be. It’s great to be able to share common interests in design with people from all over the world.
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
Red Wing Heritage – Red Wing is one of the first brands I really connected with when I started using Instagram, and I’m a big fan of their Heritage line.
J. Crew – In addition to their core line of products I like their In Good Company selection and their collaborations. Their Nike, Asics, Vans and New Balance collaborations are impressive, and they carry so many other brands including Red Wing and Alden. They do a good job of mixing classic and modern looks that are great for everyday use.
Omega – There are so many brands I love and many I look forward to trying in the future, but if I have to narrow it down to three then I have to include brands I currently use on an everyday basis. I’m a watch nerd, and my everyday watch is an Omega Speedmaster. I’m more of a Speedmaster fan than an Omega fan so I could also insert many other brands here that produce watches I love.
5. Where’s your favourite place to shop these brands
I enjoy visiting a nice store, but I’m more of a deal seeker so I put more importance on finding a good deal than on having a special shopping experience. I go for the bargains wherever they are.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your clobber on social media?
I started a couple years ago posting whatever was interesting to me at the time. That ranged from pocket knives to sneakers. I didn’t try to create a cohesive look on my page or pick one theme to stick with. I enjoy sharing hobbies and interests with others who are passionate about the same things.
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
My fiancé @ladykatie86 and I actually met through Instagram so we enjoy helping each other with new content. I mix up the types of pictures I post, but outfit grids have become a regular post for me and I enjoy organizing gear for those shots.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
Of course my fiancé @ladykatie86 who is excited about the @redwingheritagewomen collection releasing this fall. I like keeping up with @outlinedcloth, @bothrops1, and @cuffington just to name a few. The hiking pictures from the @dyerandjenkins page are also impressive.
9. What tips would you give new starter on instagram to help them get there feed off the ground and successful?
Find accounts you enjoy following and use them for inspiration when sharing your own interests and style. Take note of which characteristics you find appealing and try to incorporate them with what you’re doing in your own posts.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only with you.
What would they be? And Why?
The outfit would be all about versatility so I would have to say:
1. Red Wing 3140 because it’s a relatively lightweight chukka that is durable and comfortable.
2. Lightweight denim from Japan Blue. Like the 3140s, I would go with something tough and comfortable.
3. Floral shirt from Kato Brand. I’m a fan of their designs, and this would be a great island shirt in addition to going well with denim and boots.
4. Rolex Submariner. Being a watch fanatic, I would have to bring a quality dive watch. I love my Speedmaster but might have to trade the iconic chronograph for an iconic dive watch in this scenario.
Woah! Thanks Allen and good shout on the watch, I think you’re the first to go there or Maybe Paul aka @bothrops1 did in week 1? You’d all have to check 😉
Next week we are bringing back the rugged with Brandon aka @brandonburkphotography. His feed is jam packed with incredible pics which, more often than not, includes Red Wings, Raw Denim and of course lots of selvedge. Perfect. *looking forward to this one Brandon*
That concludes this weeks 10@10. As always, thanks for stopping by and please let me know what you think in the comments box below. Feedback and reach-outs are greatly appreciated and I will always hit back..don’t be shy!
One last thing, as of September the ClobberCalm blog is stepping up a gear by introducing an additional post that will go live on a Monday (more about that next week)
See you all soon!