I hope you’re all well and welcome to week 16 of the “THE MEN BEHIND MENSWEAR” series on the @clobbercalm blog.
This week we have a gent named Thomas aka @rather__dashing to thank for his generosity with his time. As a bit of a master when it comes to the man-grid Thomas has managed to attract nearly 50K in followers with less than 500 Posts! Like I said last week the engagement on posts are high so no cheating here. He’s just that damn good!
If you don’t already know this feed check out the link above. It’s worth it!
Other than that it’s time to sit back, relax, crack open a beer and enjoy the thoughts of Thomas as @rather__dashing answers the 10@10.
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Thomas Peterson aka @rather__dashing
LOCATION: Lincoln, NE
OCCUPATION: Art Studio Manager
1. So Why Instagram?
I was a little slow to jump on the Instagram bandwagon. I was getting really fed up with all the drama that comes with looking at Facebook so I decided to give Instagram a shot. I studied film in college so I think I have a pretty strong eye for visual design and layout. Once I got started and saw all the amazing content people were posting everyday I was hooked.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
I grew up in a rural community in Nebraska but I really came to appreciate the utilitarian style of the farmers and ranchers after I moved away. As I started to care more about personal style I was really drawn to the history of these garments that were essential to the people who shaped the United States. With fast fashion really taking off, I try to seek out brands that are proud of their heritage and keep making quality goods the old fashioned way. When I see a faded pair of raw denim or a beat up pair of boots I obviously appreciate the quality craftsmanship, but I also appreciate the commitment on the part of the people wearing them.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
I have been shocked and humbled at the response to my page over the last year. My followers have been nothing but positive and I really enjoy interacting with them, giving advice, discovering new people and brands. It’s been very exciting for me to connect with other bloggers as well. The menswear/workwear community in Nebraska is on the smaller side (if you’re reading this in Nebraska hit me up, we gotta stick together!), so it’s been great to meet a huge group of people who have a similar passion for quality goods. I love seeing bloggers encourage one another. Following all these guys has been rough on my bank account, so many great pieces being showcased!
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
Man, this is tough. I’m going to have to cheat a bit.
1. Copin Sportswear is a smaller operation producing high quality basics with updated fabrics. I’ve been working on my 17oz selvedge jeans for over a year and I think I’m still breaking them in. I think they’ll last forever. I also have a merino wool tee that I never want to take off.
2. Todd Snyder is the perfect mix of athletic, tailored, and workwear. I played baseball in college and I still want to cling to some of that style. I’ve got one of his suits, his henleys, his selvedge oxford shirts, his watch collaborations. It’s just such a versatile collection, one of my most recommended to guys trying to give up graphic tees and cargo shorts. Not too fussy, still leaning toward athletic wear.
3. Filson is the epitome of American craftsmanship. My Filson briefcase goes with me to work everyday although it doesn’t always make it into my grids. I also just picked up the perfect fall jacket. Both pieces will hopefully get passed on to future generations of Petersons.
Honorable mention: Railcar Fine Goods (they taper all my denim to give me a custom fit), Red Wing, Wolverine, Chippewa (boots, boots, boots), Rogue Territory Denim, Ebbets Field Flannels (retro baseball caps), Corter Leather (belts, wallets), Lockharts (best pomade around), Apolis (great basics, great mission), JCrew.
5. Where’s your favourite place to shop these brands?
I shop mostly online, not too many good shops where I live. I buy a lot of things directly from the brand. Huckberry, Need Supply, Stag Provisions all have great collections. I also get some great stuff on eBay from time to time.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your clobber on social media?
I started a little over a year ago after being encouraged by my friends and family. I’m lucky to have great people around me who really helped me realize that I could bring something valuable to the table on social media. I think they also wanted me to have another forum so they could stop hearing me geek out about this stuff.
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
I take my grid photo every morning. I like the routine of doing it daily rather than taking all of the photos for the coming week on Sunday. I post the weather with my photos and that really does dictate what I’m going to wear. Weather in Nebraska can change pretty quickly, so I like to check it in the morning and dress appropriately. My girlfriend, Mandi, takes all the photos of me. She’s a pretty good sport about the whole thing and puts up with lots of clothes and packages all over our house. I shoot mostly on my Galaxy S7, but I just got a Canon 70D that I intend to start using.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
Man, there are so many good accounts out there. All my fellow 10@10 interviewees are awesome and deserving of a follow. Some of my favorites are @bothrops1, @outlinedcloth, @whaleysworld, @aegishandcraft. Also I think anyone who shoots grids would be lying if they said they didn’t check in on @thepacman82.
9. What tips would you give new starters on Instagram to help them get there feed off the ground and successful?
The most important thing you can do is post every day. Sometimes an image that I don’t think is my best work ends up being my most liked. You just have to go for it. Look at blogs that you like and pick up hashtags to connect with the audience that you are trying to target. Have fun with it, post what you love!
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only with you.
What would they be? And Why?
I would take lightweight, rugged, versatile layers and some solid boots.
Rogue Territory 11oz Selvedge
Copin Sportswear Merino Tee
Filson Mile Marker Jacket
Red Wing 3141 Chukka
Thomas, that was tip top my friend. Thanks again for your time and patience (Thomas had to email me his answers multiple times due to a clogged up server on my end) You’re a good man Thomas!
Next week we have Michael aka @marvaments. Michael’s feed is a perfect fit for the blokes that enjoy feeds such as @cuffington, @greghouser and @everydaydrew (just to name a few) and it involves sexy boots, well-made bags and incredibly fitting clobber. Well-groomed and ultimately pristine Michael’s feed is one of those that seems to shine when you come across it.
Don’t miss it. As always Michael’s feature goes live next Thursday at 10pm GMT and, of course, we will be remind you via @clobbercalm so stay close!
Finally, for a few weeks I have mentioned getting something together that we will put out on a Monday evening. It became apparent very quickly that you guys love reading about our fellow brothers and their thoughts on their threads but an insight into the brands we boast about would make for an interesting topic as well. If I’m honest I could not have agreed more so off I went to try and get into the ribs of the brands to see if I could make something happen on a Monday.
Holy hell the companies I contacted were amazing. Incredibly helpful, insightful and full of enthusiasm for the new “THE BRANDS BEHIND THE MENSWEAR” series I was looking to create. These chaps have all the time in the world for their customers it seems and for that I take my hat off!
The first Monday evening feature goes live on Monday 26th September and focuses on the American denim brand @tellason. Tony (co-founder) was a great help when it came to what we are trying to create and I’m immensely honoured to have them open up the new feature.
Anyway, I’m going to do one as to avoid putting you guys to sleep. Enjoy the rest of your journey into the weekend folks and I’ll catch you all soon!