Hope you’re all feeling stellar and, as always, thanks for stopping by the clobbercalm 10@10.
This week we are focusing our attention on Michael aka @marvaments. A Medical student based in the US, Michael has an incredible eye for all things sharp and, like I mentioned last week, his IG boasts one of the feeds that seems to shine when you click upon it.
An obvious boot addict Michael’s focus on what he loves is obviously dedicated and posted with pride. On a personal note it’s all the selvedge and blue on Michael’s feeds’ display that keeps me coming back to see what he’s doing. The fit on his clobber is also second to none!
Anyways, let’s move onto the good stuff.
Folks, sit back, relax, crack open a beer and enjoy the thoughts of Michael as @marvaments answers the clobbercalm 10@10
MEET THE MAN BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Mike Huarng aka @marvaments
OCCUPATION: Medical Student
1. So Why Instagram?
To be honest, I started Instagram a few years ago as an outlet from studying. I initially used it to follow some brands that I enjoyed, but I quickly found a tight knit community who had similar interests and it’s been a great, guilty pleasure ever since. It has also been a great way to hone my photography skills, albeit I’m still just a hobbyist.
2. Why Denim, Boots, Workwear, Ruggedness?
I enjoy the utilitarianism in denim, boots and workwear. Everything serves a purpose. It’s easy to pair in any varying combination, each object is functional without being too flashy, and of course it gets better with age.
3. What are your thoughts on the rise in popularity of “Instafashion” and the community it is creating?
I think it’s great. As with anyone else, I think Instagram allows you to express yourself and you can not only appreciate people’s creativity but also get inspiration. Plus, everyone who I’ve interacted with on Instagram has been super supportive and I’m always discovering new people with so much talent and passion.
4. Top 3 brands to shop and why?
1. Alden: No need for explanation. American made, goodyear welt construction, amazing quality, history, and a variety of makeups. From standard plain toe bluchers, wingtips, to more rugged boot options. Plus there are always so many interesting and new makeups special to stores that combine great Horween leathers with different modifications to last, eyelets, edging, and soles.
2. Gitman Vintage: Made in the US and the most important thing for me is the amazing fit of their shirts. Second, is the ability to dress up for more formal settings and easily transition to more casual settings. Plus, they have a huge variety of classic fabrics and more interesting fabrics and textures.
3. 3Sixteen: A brand that had its’ start in denim but has a great selection of shirts, chinos, and jackets. As always they have a great commitment to quality materials and construction. Plus I love their commitment to shopping local and their relationships with small businesses.
5. Where’s your favourite place to shop these brands?
I don’t have a great amount of local options available to me, so much of my shopping is online. One of my favorite place to shop is Lost + Found (@shoplostfound) across the border in Toronto. The store was more of a recent discovery, but I love everything about the store. From the brands they offer, their aesthetic, and the fun little graphics they use in their emails. They offer a great variety of footwear such as Alden, Trickers, and Viberg, a huge variety of apparel from brands in the United States and Japan, and even sportswear.
6. When did you decide to voice and share your love for your clobber on social media?
I started to post 3 years back when I started medical school just because I was bored. I initially mainly posted some quick outfit shots but as you probably noticed I have a predilection for posting footwear.
7. What’s the secret behind your great images; Who takes them? When are they taken? How do you capture the magic your followers enjoy so much?
Unfortunately I don’t have a dedicated photographer to post my images so I usually take them myself. I usually throw around some ideas in my head and try to see if they come to fruition as I imagined. Usually the weather, time of day, and if I’m not busy with school dictates my ability to get the shot. You can imagine not having a someone else take my photos, that there are definitely some outtakes. I usually do a quick photo edit before it gets posted, but nothing too extensive.
8. What feeds do you like to follow and check in on? Who should we check out?
@cazjl – Jack has amazing fits on everything. It also helps he has an amazing collection of boots, shoes, and loafers. His style is simple, but he is able to mix and match different brands so effortlessly.
@youngsilhouette – Brian’s pursuit for exploring comes through in his photos, and I love tracking his adventures.
@cuffington – Nate can always throw together awesome outfits even with simple basics. Plus his fades on his denim, second to none.
9. What tips would you give new starters on Instagram to help them get there feed off the ground and successful?
Just be you. No need to copy what anyone else is doing. Find what you like and stick to it. People will appreciate it and will follow you for what makes you unique.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) Only with you.
What would they be? And Why?
1. Apolis – Raw indigo chore coat
2. Rogue Territory – Raw chambray workshirt
3. 3Sixteen – ST-100xk – 14.5 oz unsanforized denim
4. Alden – Plain toe boot on a goodyear sole
The Apolis indigo chore coat because it can keep you warm without being too heavy. The chambray workshirt from Rogue Territory just because it’s just so classic and goes with everything. My trusty 3Sixteen kibatas just because it’s a great standard indigo that is just so comfy. And finally my favorite part of any outfit, my trusty Aldens on a goodyear sole without a doubt my most worn and comfortable pair of boots.
Awesome Michael. Top shout on the @RGT raw chambray work shirt! Thanks for taking the time buddy.
Moving on, as I’ve mentioned for a few weeks now the next week will see the introduction of an additional 10@10 that will focus on ’The Brands Behind The Menswear’ and “oh” it’s good!
Next Monday will see iconic USA denim brand @tellason be the first to give us a real insight into how they work and what it is that drives them to keep creating such good products. Tony, the co-founder, spills the beans on subjects such as his daily routine, his favourite @tellason product and he also takes us on a little journey back to their humble beginnings. It’s top draws stuff!
Let’s not forget our humble beginnings ourselves though and look towards next Thursday’s feature from John Villanueva aka @vintage_engineer_boots. As an active duty US Marine Corp. based over in New Orleans, everything about John is super tough from his full attire to, well…himself 😉
He is incredibly cool, extremely nice and, above all, very generous as he has taken the time out to answer the clobbercalm 10@10. If you don’t know John’s feed yet check it out on @vintage_engineer_boots because if you like rugged you’ll love this feed.
Enough from me, enjoy the last hurdle into the weekend and I’ll see you all on Monday for the launch of “The Brands Behind The Menswear”