I hope you’re well and have finally managed to hit 5th gear in 2017. I know I have and, well…it feels good!
Project Threads & Fades ’17 has got off to flying start and this weekend also marked the anniversary of our 50th blog here @clobbercalm which is pretty cool as we are only a little over 6 months old. We’re still babies in the blogging world but we’re loving it all the same.
Today we are speaking to a master in his craft as Iu from @companiondenim answers the 10@10 for us. A denim purest at heart Iu (like many) has ended up creating a company purely from a passion that became a hobby, developed into an income and became a business.
With his small team Iu’s focus and sole priority is on jeans and, as we know in many circumstance, less is more. Iu’s jeans combine those incredible old-school worker style details with a stellar contemporary fit. It’s been really good getting to know Iu, a family man and true craftsman who is also a very nice man…always a plus!
Guys sit back, relax, crack open an Estrella (if you have one seeing as they are based in Iu’s neck of the woods) other wise any beer will do and enjoy the thoughts of Iu Franquesa as @companiondenim answers the @clobbercalm 10@10.
MEET THE BRAND BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Iu Franquesa (name is iu, with an I, not an L, as many people misspell it)
POSITION: Founder, Designer, and a long etc…
COMPANY: Companion Denim Co.
LOCATION: Sabadell, a small town in the metropolitan area of Barcelona
SIZE OF TEAM: 3 people
SPECIALITY/COMPANY FOCUS: Raw & selvedge denim goods
1. Straight forward, please tell us, how did your company Companion Denim Co. start out?
It started all out as a hobby. Companion Denim was born from my passion for denim. I started collecting vintage sewing machines in 2012, at the same time I was starting to develop the concept of the brand and producing the first samples in my basement, before I moved to an old and small metal factory in the city.
2. Tell us. What does a day in the life of you look like? What’s your daily work routine?
7am, the alarm rings. I head to the gym for some morning sport.
8.30 I arrive at the workshop, I prepare a huge mug of red tea, and along with a good “pa amb tomàquet” (bread with tomato, typical Catalonia food) I’m ready to deal with all the daily issues.
5pm I pick up the kids at school and take them to after school activities.
3. What are your top 3 bestselling items? Why do you think this is?
1). JOEL 01C, or the latest ones, because it´s our most basic and classic style made in a well balanced fit, our “501”, if I might say…, haha
2). JAN03A, our vintage/western single needle style. It combines some great materials, from the 18oz super slubby Japanese denim, to Spanish deadstock 15oz duck canvas, to the 12oz Japanese hickory stripes for pocket bags.
3). Custom jeans in our Japanese 15oz green cast Zimbabwe cotton denim. One of my favorite denims of all times.
4. What’s your personal favourite garment when it comes to the items you manufacture?
Our range of products is still limited to jeans, but we’re very happy with the outcome of our belt released, Belt 01H, which involved the work of 4 different artisans locted in different cities, in Spain.
5. What are your thoughts on the rise of Instagram fashion and the chaps that post their clothing on there to help spread the word of their fave brands?
That’s a great thing! Instagram has become an essential tool of promotion to us.
6. Has it made an impact on your business at all, do you think?
Absolutely. We’ve been able to reach a relatively big audience at zero cost (or almost).
7. Is there any feeds on IG that you particularly like to check-in on regular. What brands are you fond of on there? What menswear feeds to you like to peruse?
I like to follow different IG feeds that are focused on authentic and heritage menswear and goods; Clobbercalm, Heddels, Robin Denim, Long John, Rope Dye etc. From the fades oriented feeds to the big and small raw & selvedge brands.
8. A quick one about you. Other than the business, what passions do you have in life? What flicks your switch and helps you relax?
I like to plan outdoor sports and activities with the kids, be it snowboarding, hiking or a day on the beach. I also gather with a group of old friends once a month or so, for some wine tasting and listening to our favorite music.
9. What do you consider to be the best thing about your business and why?
I’m not sure…, I guess it should be other people who give the answer to this question, haha! I just try to produce the best quality jeans I can, everything is born from my passion to the product, and I believe this is perceived by the customer.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) only with you. And 1 choice of drink.
What would they be? And Why?
– A pair of Companion jeans, the reason is obvious.
– Red Wing boots, Blacksmith 2959, because I love them, hopefully it´s not too hot on the island…
– Black t-shirt, so I don´t see the dirt.
– If I´m allowed, I’d switch the 4th item for a Leatherman multitool.
– Big bottle of mineral water, I guess it is the most adequate drink to take.
Iu, it’s been a pleasure to have you on the 10@10 my friend. I genuinely can’t wait to try some Companion Denim out. I hope we speak again soon Iu. It’s been a true insight into your craft and if anyone needs any more insight check this VIDEO out. I wish you all the best for 2017!
Ok so moving on…we aren’t letting up on the Denim Train this week guys as Thursday sees us chat to @redrawdenim about his daily cravings for Raw Indigo at it’s best! If you haven’t checked his feed out already make sure you do and check in later this week when we have Mr Bergman in the 10@10 hot-seat.
Also a little push for the independent craftsmen & woman we collab with here @clobbercalm. Have a click through to the SHOP and take a look at some new products that have been made for us. We have hit the page with a @clobbercalm biker wallet and chain and there is also some cool leather wrist straps and personalised key fobs. All, of course, built to last!
Also hit the SUBSCRIBE button below as we will be offering intro discounts on the @clobbercalm store to new subscribers during January so it’s worth taking the 20 Seconds out to become part of the Fam
Have a cracking week people and we’ll see y’all Thursday.