Glad to have you with us for another insightful instalment of ‘The Brands…’ edition of the 10@10.
This week we have a fine crafted apparel manufacturer whose product are developed right out of the outdoor setting they are conceived in as @sageseesmore answer those “famous” 10 questions.
Who Lives Sees, Who Travels Sees More
We have Hamzah (Co-Founder / Creative Director) in the chair from Sage, the name taken from the literal meaning of a wiseman who has seen more. I’ll let the wise man himself set up this feature…
“Through our products, we encourage you to venture the great outdoor, to the unknown paths, to experience what life could offer, to travel, to see more and gain wisdom. We offer you durable materials that ages well, heavy-duty construction, and aesthetic approach that follows the function, designed to serve you as durable companion in your journey.”
MEET THE BRAND BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Hamzah Dwiputra
POSITION: Co-Founder / Creative Director
ESTABLISHED: August 2012
LOCATION: Jakarta, Indonesia
SIZE OF TEAM: 5 in the office + 3 in the workshop
SPECIALITY/COMPANY FOCUS: Menswear; rugged wear especially heavyweight selvedge denim
1. Straight forward, please tell us, how did your company Sage start out? (For people that don’t already know)
It was back then in December 2011, I had a dream to make my own denim brand, which is something I really love from when I was in high school, and long story short, I found my business partner with a same vision, Varian, a close childhood friend with the same passion : denim and the great outdoor.
After intense brainstorming session, we decided to do something that has never been done before, combining denim and the great outdoor elements, because we see that the Indonesian denim scene is saturated with Japanese and American style.
The R&D phase took a long time and “painful” process, after that long period of development we’re able to release our first product 9 months later in August 2012.
2. Tell us. What does a day in the life of yourself look like? What’s your daily work routine?
Both my partner and I are doing a full time job at Sage, but as our company grows in number, we’re pretty much just controlling the production and do a lot of brainstorming everyday for future product development and the direction of the brand.
We also spent our time in the office & workshop to meet our customers who came to visit, whether to discuss their MTO orders, or just having some little talk with them, which is great to gain insights.
3. What are your top 3 bestselling items? And why do you think this is?
1. The Ranger 19oz Unsanforized Deep Indigo : Our middle-heavyweight collection that has running for 4 years (we gave them serial numbers every year, Ranger I, Ranger II, Ranger III, and so on, all of them using different fabrics, with the same character : 19oz, deep indigo, loom state).
We think it hits the sweet spot where the denim is not too heavy, yet offers the traits of heavyweight and authentic raw denim experience (intense contrast fades, rough, hairy, some slubs), it’s a good entrance level for new denim heads!
2. Ultra-Heavyweight collections : Starting from our 23oz – 25oz denim, which the denim enthusiasts and heavy faders sought after.
3. Graphic Tees : Our design process on this particular products is not to be taken lightly, the concept is always consistent with outdoor theme, with a twist of our aesthetic.
4. What’s your personal favourite garment when it comes to the items you manufacture?
I would say our Ranger 19oz, It’s a great pair when it comes to versatility, I can go for a weekend hike and commuting around town with a moderately comfort yet durable pair of jeans.
5. What are your thoughts on the rise of Instagram fashion and the chaps that post their clothing on there to help spread the word of their fave brands?
Some might say that it has ups and downs, but we prefer to look on the bright side. It certainly helped a lot in terms of marketing and brand awareness, and in Indonesia, selvedge denim is a niche commodity, the awareness is far behind Japan, or even Thailand.
With the rise of Instagram, the whole scene is one step closer to make quality selvedge denim more accessible and acceptable to the audience, and it creates a more challenging market.
6. Has it made an impact on your business at all, do you think?
Yes of course, it broadens our base customers significantly, and it’s easier to do marketing campaign in Instagram.
7. Is there any feeds on IG that you particularly like to check-in on regular. What brands are you fond of on there? What menswear feeds to you like to peruse?
Well, not on regular basis, but these are the feeds that I enjoy:
8. A quick one about you. Other than the business, what passions do you have in life? What flicks your switch and helps you relax?
Outdoor activities, be it hiking, trekking, or just relaxing on a campsite. Oh, and I love to read good books.
9. What do you consider to be the best thing about your business and why?
I am about to say “I don’t feel like working when I’m running this business” but no, even though it’s true, I don’t want to feel like that and dull myself as a creative, I love the intensity of the work and the passion that I put into the brand, it excites me, and I think it’s the best part, to be always excited in doing your work.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) only with you. And 1 choice of drink.
What would they be? And Why?
1. Sage Graphic Tees – so if I die on that island, at least I looked great.
2. Sage Ranger 19oz – It warms me up on the cold night, yet protects me from the heat.
3. Acronym J1A – GT – The most functional piece of clothing that might keep me alive.
4. Viberg Service Boots – Because Viberg, that’s why.
Drink? Mineral water will do, after all it’s my favorite drink.
Top feature Hamzah mate! Your branding really lends itself to a strong impression, your words here perfectly back that up and obviously the product speaks for itself…
Incredibly humbled as always to get another founder, owner, creator etc in the 10@10 hot-seat as it’s always nice to get to hear the voice from the top! It also allows all of you to get to hear about your favourite brand with as much clarity as humanly possible and that’s got to be a great thing? Thanks again Hamzah, hopefully speak again in the future.
Thursday’s feature sees us speak with Chicago based bloke Keith aka @indigonaner. Just a glimpse at Keith’s feed sees such stalwarts as Red Wing, Iron Heart Denim, Oak Street Bootmakers & Freenote Cloth so I’ve got a sneaky suspicion that you’re going to want to tune into this?!
Have a tip top week folks and stay close, below is a few things listed FYI…
1). There’s new product on the CLOBBERCALM STORE. Stay tuned, the independent craftsmen & woman that make our product are the real deal.
2). @threads.and.fades.2017 is starting to pick up steam so bob over and check it out.