Brothers/Sisters, welcome to the Monday night edition of the 10@10 ‘…Brands Behind The Menswear’.
Yup, I sound chirpy I know?! Got a mega secret to share this week about something I’m extremely excited about BUT tonight is not the night. Tonight is not about ME, it’s about the indigo carnivores that are Jose and “Pepin” over at @jwjbrand. Maybe you saw their article on Heddels a few days back? If not, HERE it is.
A somewhat underground manufacturer of Raw Denim, the JWJ boys pride themselves on their preference of dye techniques and solid fabric construction. Just so you all know as well, this sort of dedication to the details is not easy to market and sell. It’s very difficult NOT to sell out and still sustain a business when everything you do takes up so much time/effort and money. Like a lot of the brands we feature Jose and “Pepin” have thought ‘fuck it’ and grabbed the bull by the horns.
It’s great to have these guys here on clobbercalm as I love their ethos and also the credibility these independent businesses bring to our humble site.
**Side note – if anybody is ever in a position to ‘Product Review’ one of these independent badasses products by all means reach out, we WILL publish! clobbercalm is a community platform and NOT a dictatorship of what gets seen**
MEET THE BRAND BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: José Luis Vives and José Vives “Pepín”
LOCATION: Mallorca, Spain
SIZE OF TEAM: 2
SPECIALITY/COMPANY FOCUS: A denim brand. Inspired by the roots of workers denim garments. Built to last.
1. Straight forward, please tell us, how did your company JWJ start out? (For people that don’t already know)
JWJ is the mixture of the founders’ initials, José Luis Vives and José Vives “Pepín”, nephew and uncle respectively. As huge fans of vintage clothing and wearers of jeans for most of our lives, one day we felt the need to turn our interest into a profession. After years of testing, we had a clear idea of our brand philosophy, raw denim made in small mills. Always inspired by the roots of workwear after a profound reflection and documentation.
2. Tell us. What does a day in the life of yourself look like? What’s your daily work routine?
A great deal of our routine, apart from the everyday office tasks and dealing with orders, is spent researching and commenting. Instagram also takes up an important part of our daily routine.
3. What are your top 3 bestselling items? And why do you think this is?
Both version of jackets and the Bruno model. We believe that the jacket is the masterpiece of our collection. Few others use natural indigo dye and have such an original design while being based directly on roots. In spite of the fact that natural indigo fade is rather slow, the shades are much richer and more special. The Bruno are made from special cloth. Being so rigid and compressed, at the start they give faster fades. It’s a different concept from Japanese denim, although it still has the quality of selvedge denim. It’s a cloth which is exceptionally resistant to wear and tear.
4. What’s your personal favourite garment when it comes to the items you manufacture?
We are specially fond of the Cuti belts. They are meticulously crafted on Hermann oak leather. The handmade buckles are unique, as is each belt.
5. What are your thoughts on the rise of Instagram fashion and the chaps that post their clothing on there to help spread the word of their fave brands?
They are great guys with an outstanding passion. Now it’s much easier to reach the public through social networks and get to know new brands and products.
6. Has it made an impact on your business at all, do you think?
Yes, Instagram is an exceptional communication tool with all that entails.
7. Is there any feeds on IG that you particularly like to check-in on regular. What brands are you fond of on there? What menswear feeds to you like to peruse?
Yes, loads of similar brands to ours, follower accounts, etc. It’s a never ending source of information and pleasure.
8. A quick one about you. Other than the business, what passions do you have in life? What flicks your switch and helps you relax?
We have many interests. Music is José Luis’s speciality. He plays in a Blues band and collect guitars and vinyls. Pepín loves sport, Pilates and meditation. In the past, he was a smith cutler and saddle maker.
9. What do you consider to be the best thing about your business and why?
It’s doing what we enjoy and projecting it to others. We particularly like to hear our customers’ feedback.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) only with you. And 1 choice of drink.
What would they be? And Why?
That depends on where the island is, but everyone thinks of a desert island in a tropical sea. If that’s the case, a pair of light jeans and a long sleeved shirt (sun and mosquitoes). We would like to say beer, but on second thoughts a huge barrel of water or plenty of water coconuts.
Great stuff guys! Loved the Heddels feature and love this post on our humble site. Some tip-top product coming out of España, what with @companiondenim out there as well, and Spain’s not too far from the UK too 😉
Stay tuned for all the usual ventures and keep your ear to the ground to catch the rumblings about my latest one. Haha I can be a mysterious bugger sometimes…
Have a tip-top week guys! Stay close. Speak Soon.