Good Evening, people.
You’ll all be happy to know that the snow has cleared and the UK is back off Defcon 5 BUT I did get stuck in Manchester after ‘Thee Oh Sees’ gig last week. It was intense BUT it was well worth it…such a great performance!
Speaking of Manchester, tonight’s ‘…Brand…’ is from that side of the Pennines and we’ll put aside all the Roses “stuff” to one side as this brand is legit 😉. Josef, Owner of Joe & Co Denim answers the questions tonight and we had the pleasure of meeting him in person at Selvedge Run, great guy and great co. so moving swiftly on…
MEET THE BRAND BEHIND THE MENSWEAR
NAME: Josef Schindler
BRAND NAME: Joe & Co Denim (The Northern Dry Goods Company Limited)
POSITION: Owner / Creative Director
SIZE OF TEAM: 1 (Me)
SPECIALITY/COMPANY FOCUS: Raw Selvedge Denim / Apparel working with Japanese, Italian and British denim mills focusing on small batches. You will never get the same fit, in the same fabric of more than 100 pieces, each garment is numbered and hand stamped. Each store / door that comes on aboard is restricted to 10 pairs per fit per fabric
1. Straight forward, please tell us, how did your company Joe & Co Denim start out? (For people that don’t already know)
Joe & Co Denim was registered as a trade mark in 2008 and shelved for a few years until everything was in place, in terms of how I wanted the brand to be perceived. I had a good few years out of manufacturing, after being shafted out of my old brand Josef Jeans, which left a very bitter taste, after losing everything…tell you more when we catch up.
2. Tell us. What does a day in the life of yourself look like? What’s your daily work routine?
Tue, Fri, Sat, Sun I have a pop up at the award winning Altrincham Market. The rest of the week I’m traveling to mills and factories & putting new products into sampling and production.
3. What are your top 3 bestselling items? And why do you think this is?
The Collier 369 Raw Selvedge Denim, Arkwright 282 Raw Selvedge Denim and the Perkins 743 Irish Linen over shirts. The fits, the quality of fabrics I use and the quality of manufacturing are paramount, along with the attention to detail, without being over the top.
4. What’s your personal favourite garment when it comes to the items you manufacture?
To be honest, I don’t have any favourites, they are all as good as intended to be.
5. What are your thoughts on the rise of Instagram fashion and the chaps that post their clothing on there to help spread the word of their fave brands?
I’m not interested in fashion. I’m more of a timeless product type of guy, and Instagram is a superb way of finding out new brands and products, it also gives the brand / brands a window of opportunity worldwide to see what else is going on & also make new buddies in that field with the same interests.
6. Has it made an impact on your business at all, do you think?
I don’t have that many followers to be honest, however, if it weren’t for the likes of Instagram, the brand would not have as much impact.
7. Is there any feeds on IG that you particularly like to check-in on regular. What brands are you fond of on there? What menswear feeds to you like to peruse?
Yeah, Wouter at @longjohn_denimblog, Greg at @denimhound & Matt from @ropedye, and obviously yourselves 😉 With regards to brands, I’m a massive fan of Mr Freedom, the guy’s a genius, also Kurt & Faith, Dawson Denim, Stevenson Overalls, Merz.b. Schwanen, Viberg, just to name a few…
8. A quick one about you. Other than the business, what passions do you have in life? What flicks your switch and helps you relax?
My 15 year old daughter.
9. What do you consider to be the best thing about your business and why?
The best thing about my business is, it’s mine and with the help of my friends around me makes it even better.
10. And Lucky Last, You’re going to be stranded on a desert island and you can take 1 outfit (4 items) only with you. And 1 choice of drink.
Cheers for this Josef, it’s always great to get a UK-based brand on the Monday feature and it’s a sound write-up…which is, obviously, even better 👌 Thanks for your time man!
Did you all catch the Amy Leverton clobber-cast last week? So awesome, if you haven’t already you can tune in HERE or the casts are now available on iTunes. This week, we have plenty going off and it’s all going to be for you lovely folks so stay tuned in. We promise it’ll all be worth your time guys.